Slooplayla.blogspot.com is pleased to present a new incarnation, the better to follow a new adventure from near or far.

In early November, our dear friends mister Kenneth B. and miss Darci D. boarded a plane (or three) bound for the Hawaiian Islands. Unable to handle the cold, they chose to get out of the freezer.

So, for an indefinite number of months, the duo will wait out the Pacific Northwest winter by pursuing and intertwining their respective passions of scuba diving and organic farming.

As the fingers endowed to format this page, I'm sure I type for all of us when I write that we wish Darc and Ken all things good and harmonious and warm, and that we eagerly await pictures and details of the fun.

The Next Chapter:

Thank you all for the comments on the posts so far. Each bit of encouragement is noted and greatly appreciated!

News, Updates, Notes

NEWS, UPDATES, NOTES

11/03/11
Safe arrival on Hawaii.


Thursday, November 10, 2011

Next stop Hawaii

Here we are, with the third chapter, and second year of the Sloop Layla saga!  A lot has happened since I gave Costco (my last "real" job) the ol heav-ho, and set sail for the San Juan Islands in my 25' sloop, Layla.  We'll start with a quick recap for those of you that are just now joining us.

In the summer of 2009 I, Ken Block, purchased a sailboat on somewhat of a whim.  Knowing nothing about sailing but eager to learn, myself and my "first mate"/ designer and coauthor of slooplayla, Evan P Wolf. We began learning through the saturation method the ways of the water, boat life - oh - and how to sail.  We spent the winter refitting the boat top to bottom and outfitting it with everything we could ever want for a fun filled summer of cruising the islands.  Which is exactly what we did.  After saying adios to the day to day grind of work, bills, appointments, obligations, and of corse our dearest friends and family, we raised sail with no planned course.  We spent the next few months exploring and adventuring to our hearts content, making Layla our home and every island our playground.

Our return to the mainland left me with an appetite for cruising that was only wetted by the previous months.  With the weather waning my sites moved to a warmer climate.   A little searching led me to a boat in New Jersey headed for the Caribbean in need of a cook.  With little experience, but a good attitude the captain gave me the "ok", and in a matter of a few days, I was on a plane to New Jersey.       I spent the next eight months in the hot Caribbean sun on the 115' super yacht, Snow Goose.  I cooked the first four months and deck handed the next four months to help the owner build a house on the island of St Barthelemy.



I returned home in June, excited to be back and see everyone,  but with the continuing urge to ramble I set my sights on Hawaii, this time with company!  This is as perfect a time as ever to introduce the beautiful, and talented Darci Duncan, best friend and girlfriend of 4 years.


With her passion for travel and farming combined with my love for the ocean made Hawaii an obvious choice.   Darci managed to locate a farm that was willing to feed and house us.  With no more incentive needed we purchased two one way tickets for the big island, Hawaii and waited for November.

With what little spare time and money I had, I decided to get my Divemasters certification in diving, with the hope to be able to find work on a dive boat once on the islands.   Over 60 dives, 4 text books, and only two days to spare I finished the course, we said our goodbyes and boarded the plane for Hawaii.



Thank you all so much for your support in the past and I hope you continue reading as this next adventure unfolds!

Cheers,

Ken and Darci

1 comment:

  1. Hey you two!! I hope all is well. I tried to send Darci a Photo of my Dental Card and remembered you turned off your phone. ... so, if you get a chance, have Ken or you call me... cause I think I don't have Ken's number!! Can't wait to get over to see you!!

    Have fun
    Dad

    ReplyDelete