Slooplayla.blogspot.com is pleased to present a new incarnation, the better to follow a new adventure from near or far.

In early November, our dear friends mister Kenneth B. and miss Darci D. boarded a plane (or three) bound for the Hawaiian Islands. Unable to handle the cold, they chose to get out of the freezer.

So, for an indefinite number of months, the duo will wait out the Pacific Northwest winter by pursuing and intertwining their respective passions of scuba diving and organic farming.

As the fingers endowed to format this page, I'm sure I type for all of us when I write that we wish Darc and Ken all things good and harmonious and warm, and that we eagerly await pictures and details of the fun.

The Next Chapter:

Thank you all for the comments on the posts so far. Each bit of encouragement is noted and greatly appreciated!

News, Updates, Notes

NEWS, UPDATES, NOTES

11/03/11
Safe arrival on Hawaii.


Monday, December 06, 2010

A day in my life

My day usually starts around 6:00am.  I find when living on a boat, big or small, My sleep cycles fallows the sun.  It is also partly because my duties as the cook are to make the crew and guests breakfast.  I take a shower and wander into my galley close to 6:30 to survey what fresh fruits and bread we have left from the day before.  Quite often I will need to make an early bakery run before everyone wakes up.
A few days ago on my way in I noticed a new cruse ship had arrived in the bay.
 And from my observation, not your average Caribbean cruse ship.  This was a 250' tall ship!  My kind of curse.  I have seen it a few times since, but it was quite an impressive sight to wake up to that one morning.

I have been making a running menu every morning for the week.  I decide what to make, list my own personal alterations then when it's all said and done I make a comment as to weather the guests, Dom, and crew liked the food.  Also I comment on if it was easy to make, how the timing was for all of it and what I would do different.  This is another one of my early morning activities that is very helpful to the structure of my day.




My "chopping station" as I call it, is conveniently located next to a port hole through which I dispose of my food scraps.   In doing this I have made a few friends that come visit me every day.  Several 3'-4' Remora (sucker) fish have taken up residency under the boat scavenging any scraps of food I might bestow upon them.  Like dogs of the sea they simultaneously swoop in and fight over every morsel.


    


After lunch I usually have a few hour lull in my day where I'll go diving off the boat or spend a few hours on a beach nearby.  These Remora are not the only fish I come across gathering under our boat.  I will commonly see a Rey combing the bottom or large schools of brightly colored fish passing by.  But I have learned whenever there is a large school of small fish they are commonly fallowed by one or two large Barracuda.

We made our biweekly trip up to St Martin on Saturday.  A large portion of the previsioning I do for the boat is done there due to the different currency.  Currently the Dutch dollar is only 60 cents to our dollar.  It is strange the difference on island's distance can have on culture and race.  St Barth is majority French speaking and white population.  One Island up at St Martin the common language is English with a very largely black population.  St Martin is nicknamed, "the friendly island," which I found to be quite accurate in comparison to St Barth.

             As we set anchor in Simpson Bay, my view through the galley port hole was a pretty one.

My busiest time of day is dinner.  With three courses and a separate meal for the crew, I have my hands full.  All my work is usually done by 9:00pm.  I spend the rest of the night in my bunk doing my best to learn the basics of the very complex French language from an outdated book I found in the bookshop on St Barth.

That's all my happenings for now.  As the days go on I will gladly share my experiences with all of you via this blog.  If you keep reading I'll keep writing!

Thank you all

KB


Best wishes to my closest friend Darci Duncan as she begins her Long flight to Japan on yet another adventure abroad!  Bon Voyage!

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog, Ken. We'll keep reading...please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Ken. Keep writing...we'll keep reading!

    Cheers. Off to Japan!

    (aunt) deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all miss you a great deal ken. can't wait to see you.
    i love you!

    - darci jo

    ReplyDelete